Tuesday, January 17, 2006

I Scream You Scream

One of the things I received at Christmas was an ice cream maker attatchment to my Kitchen Aid. I have made a few batches of ice cream and plan on making many more. I have yet to make my favorite, Rocky Road. Rest assured, I will make it the way God intended, with mini-marshmallows and almonds, not with marshmallow cream and walnuts. I also intend to try my hand at something I have only tasted a few times before but really enjoyed - Green Tea Ice Cream. Here is the recipe I intend to try:

Green Tea Ice Cream

2 cups heavy cream
2 cups half and half
1/2 a vanilla bean
8 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp dry green tea

Split vanilla bean and scrape the insides. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the cream, half-and-half, and vanilla bean scrapings, stirring occasionally to make sure the mixture doesn't scorch on the bottom. When the cream mixture reaches a fast simmer (do not let it boil), set aside for 12 minutes to let flavors marry. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar. Whisking constantly, slowly pour the still-hot cream mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Cook until thermometer reaches 180 degrees. Remove it from the heat and add green tea incorportaing thoroughly. Strain and chill. Follow the directions of your ice cream maker to finish.

While you do not have to use it, most recipes call for maccha green tea powder, which I gather is a traditional Japanese green tea. I have had green tea ice cream made from Lotus Tea from Tazo and it was good, just try and use a quality green tea and powder it.

1 comment:

Dr.Gray said...

I love green tea ice cream. Do you think something like this would work for this recipe - green tea ice cream?