Thursday, December 01, 2005

Deviled Eggs

Deviled eggs usually make a big appearance right after Easter (in lovely pastel hues!) but they are my all purpose, fall back, holiday appetizer and I never seem to take any home after the event.

1 dozen hardboiled eggs
1/4 cup mayonaisse
1/8 cup mustard
3 green onions
salt
coarse ground black pepper
paprika

I am not going to tell you how to boil an egg. They can though. Carefully slice eggs lengthwise and remove yolk. Lay out whites cup side up and place yolks in seperate bowl. Mash yolks with fork until they are finely mashed with no large pieces and add mayo, mustard, salt and pepper to taste. Mince green onions finely and mix thoroughly with yolk mixture. Filling should now be creamy and smooth but able to be formed. If mixture is still dry at mayo until you reach desired consistency. Pipe into cup formed by egg white and dust lightly with paprika. My Southern brother in law would blench at the knowlege that I do not use real mayo but that stuff with the "tangy zip", that is because I am a mayonaisse heretic and unashamed of the fact.

Last Carnival of the Recipes with a "hot n' spicy" theme is here.


No comments: