Monday, January 30, 2006

Squeak, Squeak

The Infant is a bit, um, spoiled. She woke up from a nap and after being fed and changed was put in her saucer. Besides the built in amusements on the saucer there are plenty of toys clipped onto it. I gave her sweet potato puffs and she ate them contentedly and played with her toys while I walked back and forth from the laundry room. She finished her puffs and refused all other edibles.

Jump, jump. She watched me pass with an armful of laundry, her eyes expectant.

I came back her way, arms empty. Jump, jump, giggle, coo. Her eyes turned accusing as I passed her by. Those arms were EMPTY mom.

I filled milk cups for the other kids, and refilled the endless request for more peanutbutter sandwiches.

Jump, Jump, JUMP. Mehhhhh. The warning. You only get one. Waaaaaaahhhhhhhh!

She jumps, she arches. I pass by with apple slices. The premptory cry becomes a full fledged shriek of anger. The back of her head gently taps a button on the saucer.

Squeak, squeak. The light squeak cuts through the din. Silence.

Jump. Arch. Squeak, squeak. A new game.

No comments: