Thursday, September 08, 2005

Braided Raisin Loaf

I love Indian Summer. Warm Days, cool nights here on the island we have mist from the sea rolling in early and headed out late. You see it move up the Sound like wall and ships disappear before your eyes. This kind of weather makes me want to either get up early and bake or stay in bed under cozy covers and read my book. Since I gave birth to an abominably early riser, the stay in bed part is relegated to fantasy land except on rare occasions.

My sister is hooked on this braided raisin loaf from a place down the road from her. I had some and I can see why she loves it. Got me thinking though: that shouldn't be too hard. So here's the deal: I am going to make some for our church's free oil change for women and seniors BUT I am kind of throwing together two recipes I think will work and have actually made this myself. Will some enterprising soul make this and drop me a line or post a comment on friday?

Braided Raisin Loaf

1 tsp dry active yeast
4 tbsp brown sugar
3/4 tsp salt
3 cups bread flour
1 tbsp butter
1 egg
1 egg white
1 cup warm milk
1/2 cup raisins
1 tbsp cinnamon

Soak raisins in hot water for 1/2 hour until they replump. Combine yeast, milk and sugar until it activates then add remaining ingredients and combine thoroughly. Let rise, seperate into three parts and let rise again. Roll into fat logs and braid together. Place on parchment paper and brush egg white on top. Bake at 350 until dark golden.

No comments: