Sunday, May 08, 2005

The Hand that Rocks the Cradle

... rules the world. Family, parents, mothers are vital to children. They impress into children a set of values and priorities. The role of a mother is to give; giving time, attention, labor, love. Children often take this for granted. Even as an adult and mother of three, I take for granted my own mother's gift of time and attention. If I call her she is going to give me the gift of her attention, even if it is only for a few minutes. I know I am blessed to be assured of her love. I know that in this world there are those out there who doubt or never have received assurance of love from thier mothers. I am doubly blessed that I am assured of love from my mother -in -law also. I had intended to write about Mother's Day from the prospective of a mother- hopefully humorously. What changed my mind was reading Jeff's post on Mother's Day here.

Jeff, whether he realizes it or not, illustrates how well his mother raised him. You see, for all his guilt and self condemnation for not being perfect in executing his responsibilities, he was there. He gave of himself and returned the time, attention, labor and love when his mother needed it most. There is an "of course" assumed in his letter of love. What child would abandon his mother coming out of health crisis? The very fact that it is an "of course" speaks volumes about the values instilled in him as a child.

Proverbs says, "Teach a child how he should live, and when he is an adult he will not depart from that teaching." St. Paul writes that we should "pray without ceasing". My mission as a mother and child is to pray and teach my children to pray. Love and teach love. Give and teach giving.

No comments: