Monday, August 15, 2005

From the Mailbag

Unlike some bloggers out there I do not yet rate hate mail about my blog posts. Well, that is only because some of my correspondents have not found my blog yet. I am sure that when Jake (last name omitted) finds me here I will begin to get hate mail. Hi Jake! Still I get the occasional email asking if I had seen or heard of a news tidbit and if I plan on commenting. Recently the topics are Justice Sunday (part deax!) and Cindy Sheehan.

I don't plan on posting on Cindy Sheehan other than to say grief should not be unseemly. Perhaps that seems cold. Overemotionalism makes me deeply uncomfortable. The deliberate stoking of unhealthy excess ruins more than just the stoker. I am reminded of three very disparate things: Miss Havisham, Queen Victoria, and Jarius' daughter.

Justice Sunday seems to be well taken care of. I look forward to the video from Trey Jackson. I support and approve of Christians engaging in politics, they are after all citizens and should impact thier communities. I do not know how wise it is using church facilities to hold a political rally. It makes many believers and unbelievers alike feel hinky. I know that the church is the body of people and not the building in which they gather, still I dislike the politicizing of the space. Joe Carter who live blogged the event seems to have similar feelings about the flag. He writes:
5:50pm -- After thirty years as an American evangelical you’d think I’d be used to seeing an American flag in the church. But while I respect the symbol of our country, I’ve never been comfortable with an object that inspires patriotism sharing the stage with the symbol of our Savior’s sacrifice. So I feel a bit uneasy seeing the two flags flanking a cross with a plaster statue of the Ten Commandments centered in front, being used as the backdrop for the speakers. The cross is sufficient for salvation. Why is it not sufficient for the church?

Conversation in politics these days seems shrill and nasty more and more. Christians more than anyone else need to guard against pride and hypocrisy. How easy it is to fall into a holier than thou attitude, especially in a polarized political climate. Christians should be "wise as serpents, gentle as doves." Given the organizers of the event it is understandable that the format strikes my mind as similar to visiting evangelist events, again it makes me uncomfortable. Perhaps next time they could simply open with an inter-faith prayer and skip the praise and worship.

No comments: