Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Hurricane Katrina

As part of a coordinated effort by blogs to direct readers to relief agencies here are my recommendations to the readers here.

Firstly, Samaritan's Purse. I have donated with them thru thier Christmas Box program. They are effective, organized and have good resources. The have the infrastructure in place to assemble and deliver emergency aid kits to people. My church has worked with them for years.

Second, Humane Society. There are going to be a lot of frightened and homeless pets in New Orleans and I want to be sure they are not forgotten.

Glenn Reynolds will have a comprehensive list of places to donate. Check to see if your employer has a matching donation program going. I don't know if they have anything coordinated at the national level, but Starbucks stores will often donate coffee to relief workers. Try asking at your local Starbucks if they can/will donate part of their charity allotment of coffee to Hurricane Katrina. I worked for them back when there was that rash of school shootings and when one happened in our town, our store was able to donate beyond our allotment.

No comments: