Monday, November 14, 2005

Words, words, words

I love reference materials. A dictionary is a source of great amusement, as one word prompts me to look up another. I've got a fairly good vocabulary (I think anyway) but I find it facinating to see alternate or archaic meanings listed next to everyday words. As I was browsing my online dictionary, I popped over to another dictionary site and lo and behold found Merriam-Webster's Open Dictionary, a Wiki sort of affair.
a live, day-by-day chronicle of neologisms based completely on contributions from our users!
I looked up kerfuffle, because I could.

kerfuffle

One entry found for kerfuffle.

Main Entry: ker·fuf·fle
Pronunciation: k&r-'f&-f&l
Function: noun
Etymology: alteration of carfuffle, from Scots car- (probably from Scottish Gaelic cearr wrong, awkward) + fuffle to become disheveled
chiefly British : DISTURBANCE, FUSS
And just because: top 5 searches on encyclopedia dot com's website are for alcoholism, anthropology, automobiles, world war 1, and baptists.

No comments: